Saturday, September 3, 2011

Grilled Sweet Potatoes

If you are a regular reader you probably realize that I like to cook out on my grill in the summer... well even in the winter sometimes I will brave an ice storm in order too grill out a tenderloin.  Anyway I grill out about 4-5 nights a week I grill out every sort of protein and most vegetables have found their way to my grill this summer, my problem has been the starches.  I make a mean cheesy potato (they really rock so I haven't tried too hard to replace them) but I have always felt like a "one trick pony" with the potatoes.  This past couple of weeks I have been trying some starches on the grill.  This way I can walk onto the deck, beer in hand, and get everything done in one place.  This is one of my more successful new additions.

Grilled Sweet Potatoes
3 Sweet potatoes
juice from 4 limes
grated zest from one of the limes
1 tsp salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
1/3 cup of olive oil
1/4 cup of chopped cilantro

Place the potatoes, peel on, in cool salted water and bring to a boil let them boil until almost tender, about 25 minutes.  They should still be a little firm in the middle when poked with a fork.  Pour out the water and cool with cold water until you are able to handle them,  I put mine under cold running water for a few minutes.  These can be stored in the refrigerator for several hours until you are ready.
For the Lime Cilantro Vinaigrette mix the rest of the ingredients together with a whip and set aside.  This can be made a day ahead if you like.

When the time comes peel the sweet potatoes then cut into quarters lengthwise.  Put them on a HOT grill (you want the grill marks) for 3-4 minutes on a side.  Take them off and set aside, when it is time to serve drizzle the Cilantro Vinaigrette on them.  You can serve them hot, right off the grill but I like mine about room temp (or outside cookout temp).  These guys are sweet and tangy with a little of that caramelized sweetness it turns out to be a great picnic side dish.

The leftovers worked well for dinner a couple of nights later here they are diced and sauteed with some chicken, crumbled goat cheese and just a touch of brown sugar.  This one almost qualified as foodie crack!


6 comments:

  1. yummm I'm liking this idea A LOT! Your photos look great Bryan...bring on summer I say

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally yummy! I roast ours 'cause we can't grill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need you to come and teach me how to grill. I'm scared of big fires like that! Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe! I hope you are having a nice day. I'm enjoying my Labor Day with baking and friends. Much love from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound delicious! We eat sweet potatoes regularly but I never thought of the grill...I especially like the burnt caramelized parts....and then goat cheese....Making them this weekend for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Idea! we are grilling out with my family this weekend and I will def recommend this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Sweet potatoes always make me smile, I bet all of the lime makes these really great.

    ReplyDelete