Thursday, September 3, 2009

Ahh The Manhattan


The last couple of days have been days to remember... or hopefully, with the help of this drink... not. I had taken some time (and pictures) over the last few days (I took a four day weekend from that pesky day job) to put together some posts that I was excited by (you will see them soon) but the graphics card on my computer crashed. I called HP but they were more interested in selling me a new computer than helping me with my problem. That is fine, they need to make money too I suppose.

While I search for a compatible component (instead of a $1500 computer) I have a couple of ideas that I had planned to bring up soon. This one seems most appropriate now, the Manhattan. History suggests that the Manhattan was first made for Winston Churchill's Mother, Lady Randolph Churchill, at the Manhattan Club in New York. Though there is some argument over the proportions the classic Manhattan has Whiskey, Sweet Vermouth and Bitters usually garnished with a Maraschino Cherry. Mine are:

2 oz whiskey
1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth
2-3 drops Angostrua Bitters A little bit goes a Looooong way

Poor into a Rocks Glass filled with Ice, I don't usually garnish this drink because I am so eager to consume it.

A friend of mine in Dublin Ohio used to cater a party for a couple that celebrated their switch from Martinis to Manhattans every Labor Day weekend. I have to say that it was a party for a good cause(drinking) they also celebrated the opposite switch on Memorial day each year I don't know much else about the semiannual events except for the fact that a lot of rich people drank way too much

No comments:

Post a Comment