Sunday, September 13, 2009

Spaghetti Squash

A few days ago one of my regular customers told me that she planted some spaghetti squash in her home garden, she expected about 9 0r 10 of them when the harvest came... buy the time they were done it turns out she had a harvest of about 50 of them which had, her husband and their 7 year old son threatining to move out if they had to eat spaghetti squash for one more meal. She brought some for me to share with my staff at work, which I did, after I got one for myself.

Spaghetti Squash is great for a side dish or center of a plate, in and of its self it doesn't have a lot of flavor which means that you can mix it with just about anything and it picks up very subtle flavors. We were actually pretty lucky when I cooked this time, I was making dinner for just the four of us, a couple pieces of chicken, some potatoes and the spaghetti squash. There was no way we were going to be able to eat it all, but some friends dropped by for a "few minutes" Which turned into a few hours (and a few drinks). Kris asked if they could stay for dinner which I was not only happy to do but excited by! Dinner went from a couple of pieces of chicken, potatoes and squash to a couple of pieces of chicken, potatoes, spaghetti squash, asparagus, hot dogs, hamburger and a ribeye steak that I had in the freezer door. My friend's kids surprised me because the 7 and 8 year old girls were fighting over the steak and the squash. It was funny to see.

Anyway the Spaghetti Squash is that I am talking about today, it was easy and tastes really good:

The squash has to cook for about an hour I cut it in half and cooked put it in a roasting pan with an inch of water and put that into a 350 degree oven for an hour. When that was done I set it aside to cool for a while until I could hold it again, then scraped out the meat into a sauce pan with melted clarified butter, well lets do the ingredients first:

1 TBS melted clarified butter
1 Clove fresh Garlic minced
1/2 spaghetti squash steamed in oven
1 1/2 TBS fresh Basil chopped
1/4 cup Shredded Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste









first saute the garlic for a couple of minutes then toss the rest of the ingredients in a saute pan over high neat until the squash starts to caramelize bit then put it into a serving dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment