Monday, September 21, 2009

Roast Beef Hash and Eggs

I am finding that I like a hearty breakfast more that I thought I did. I was off from my day job one day last week and wanted to have another bigger breakfast. Luckily a couple of days before Kris had made a Pot Roast in the slow cooker. That is one of the dishes that she prepares (instead of me) She has an established ratio of meat, to potatoes to liquid and other ingredients that works well. I think I have mentioned before that slow cooking isn't my thing anyway, I am far too much of a poker and worrier so I tend to open the slow cooker too often and check, which really defeats the slow cooking process, actually I have found it really kills the process. Luckily for me I cut this piece of meat a little too big so there was more leftover meat than potatoes, in our house the kids stop eating roast ofter the potatoes are gone.

I got up on Thursday morning and found a chunk of well seasoned, tender beef a little bigger than a computer mouse sitting in the refrigerator. I thought that hash would be perfect so I peeled and diced a large potato then put it into a pan to boil, while that was going I diced up an onion, minced a clove of garlic and tore the meat in shreds. This is such a simple dish (making it perfect for breakfast) once the potatoes are done (by done I mean cooked until they are just a little bit firm when you poke them) you are ready to go.

Melt 1 TBS butter in a pan, I used my iron skillet, something about that pan feels right for Hash Browns Then started the Onions and Garlic. Once they are done, the onions are translucent put in the diced up Potato and Saute until the potatoes are almost done to your taste. I like to cook them over high heat so they get a little crispy at the edges and stay soft in the middle. For the last few minutes put in the shredded meat and add some salt and pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes until the meat is hot, then turn off the heat and cover.

Cook your eggs in another pan and serve, I like my eggs really runny and set right on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment