Sunday, November 22, 2009

Red Wine Poached Eggs


Ok here it goes again, I think that I have mentioned the precarious hold that I may have on my "man card" this post is further proof the next sentence says it all. This dish is a perfect brunch.

Told ya.

Actually, the author of a foodie blog that I follow a few weeks ago talked about an obscure Parisian Cafe that she went to making perfect Red Wine Poached Eggs for lunch. and was just raving about them. It wasn't a dish that I was really familiar with so I wanted to pursue it on my own. I tried some different recipes and got it right on the 3rd or 4th try here it is:

1 1/2 Cups of red wine (I used Merlot this time)
1 1/2 cups Chicken Broth
1 tsp Rosemary
1 clove Garlic
1 tsp Fennel seed
2 stems of Tarragon
Salt and pepper

Bring all ingredients to a low boil for about 10 minutes to let all the flavors steep together then strain the liquid through a sieve. Then bring to a boil again, there are two ways to proceed; if you are just making these for yourself or maybe one more crack the eggs into the boiling liquid and let cook for 3 to 3 1/2 minutes then serve. If you are preparing for a larger group drop the eggs one at a time into the boiling liquid for about 2 minutes then pull out with a slotted spoon and drop into an ice bath. When it is time to serve put them back into boiling water for about a minute to reheat. I have found the second method gives a nicer (if less intense color) but the flavors both ways seem to be about even.

Here the eggs are served with Spring Greens and toasted Baguette. I topped the Greens with a little Strawberry Vinaigrette and fresh Pepper.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, you crack me up. And yeah, "the perfect brunch dish" seriously makes me question your manly cred.

    ReplyDelete