Thursday, March 10, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings

Ok, some food just doesn't photograph well, this may not be the most elegant meal but it is really good, read on!
Ok I am done with the February blues, the past couple of months I took the pictures and kept the recipes, I would just get to the computer and blah... it just wasn't in me to blog about it.  This one is from a couple of weeks ago in the middle of February.  I wanted the ultimate comfort food and what could be better than chicken and dumplings?

The chicken is easy I put a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil in the trusty iron skillet then browned it skin side down first for about 5 minutes then turn for another couple of minutes.  Once the chicken was browned I added about 2 cups of chicken broth a couple of cut up carrots celery and two chopped cloves of garlic.  I braised that on the stove top for about 35 minutes at a low simmer until the chicken was done.

Once you add the broth and vegetables to your chicken start making your dumplings...
Really "dumplings" is another way to say soggy biscuits... one of the guys I work with makes his dumplings and puts them into a steamer, me I like them to cook in the broth for a couple of reasons: first they have a nice flavor when cooked in broth and drippings, second as you cook them in your broth it starts to thicken and become a nice gravy. 

The Dumplings:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup semolina flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
2/3 cup buttermilk


To make the dumplings mix together the dry ingredients then add the butter.  Mix together by hand (smashing with your fingertips) until the flour mixture has a consistent corn meal like texture.  Add the buttermilk and mix quickly, just a bit, do not over mix.
 
When your chicken is done take it out of the gravy and set aside, add the dumpling batter about a tablespoon at a time and cook for 15 minutes.  It is kind of hard to tell when they are done they are dryish on top and firm, but really it is wet bread... they are done when they resemble soggy biscuits. 

The flavor is great here! and the whole dish just make you warm and happy on the inside, I simply love the flavor and texture of dumplings and these were not a disappointment.

3 comments:

  1. My mother used to make dumplings with every kind of stew...we loved them. Still do. No matter the photo, this looks excellent, Bryan. I like that you made the dumplings with semolina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually looks delicious, and very comforting. Unfortunately I will be busy in the next week making corned beef and Irish soda bread, but after that is all over, I will definately give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good to me and brings back delicious memories. Both my mother and grandmother made chicken and dumplings. I don't think they browned their chicken first or used chicken stock. I think both of these steps would make an even better dish. I've never made it but you've inspired me. I think we have a few more cold days ahead in which to enjoy it.

    I got those Meyer lemons at Whole Foods--the big one off North Ave.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete