Monday, June 27, 2011

Curse you travel industry!

So I got to this little airport as I was leaving my Connecticut adventure.  Because I was trying to see if I could get an earlier flight and really had absolutely nowhere else to go, I got to TWEED airport (an airport about the size of my living room) with three hours to spare.  At almost exactly the time we were to board a man came in and announced to the entire secure area that our flight would be delayed by at least an hour...
This is it the entire secure area.
I dutifully stood in line waiting to talk to him about my connecting flight,  His question, "Would you like to spend the night here or in Philadelphia?"  Will this trip never end?

Oy and Miss Lu's birthday party was the next day, so we had a ton of stuff to do in the morning.  picking me up from the airport was not part of that...
The flight boarded about an hour late...   I find it funny that a plane that has about 36 seats boards the same way as the 737 I had been on earlier.  
"We would like to invite any of our gold pass members to board now."  2 or 3 people board.
"Anyone traveling with small children" absolute silence.
"Now we will board zone one."  That continued as 4 or 5 passengers at a time walked to the plane for each zone.

Then we sat on the tarmac for another hour.  When I got to Philadelphia I was not surprised to find that I had missed my connecting so I went to the courtesy counter to see what I could do.  The best answer was,  "Spend the night in a hotel and leave tomorrow morning at 8:00am."  By this time I was defeated so I started the process of getting a hotel room.  After waiting for about an hour for my shuttle (I think the 13 year old they had driving the Holiday Inn Van got lost) I got to the hotel front desk at 11:30pm. Remember that I had started my travel adventures at about 1:30 that day after my Subway School final exam, so I was done.

The rest of the night was less than eventful, after I had dinner using my boss' credit card (turns out he drinks a lot and tips well).  I got to my hotel room a little after midnight for my 5:00 am wake up call.  I won't go into any more details, lets just say that I did make it home and Kris and the Kiddos picked me up in time for the big party.  I didn't have the time to do everything that I had planned but it turns out that the kiddos aren't as uptight about food as I am I did Mr. Man, Miss Lu and I did make a trip to the store to get stuff for the fruit tray for the Luau themed party...

and the ham and pineapple skewers.

The party went well and I am happy to be home!  I have some pictures and posts started, but needed a little time to regroup...

Too bad I didn't get to take couple of whacks at the pinata... I have been a little frustrated.


  1. That is most annoying! When travel goes well, it's a joy. I have to say that my recent three flights (two to Rhode Island and one to Oakland, California) went without a hitch right down to making the shuttle home from Midway. We never go to either airport but rather use Coach USA. We even treat our visitors to a round trip ticket. It's so much easier than fighting traffic and parking. It's a little pricy but worth every penny. Looks like the party was a success which is what counts.


  2. Yah- your back!!
    Total flight/day from hell but a little reprieve was the bosses credit card which I'm sure you used wisely.

    Party looks fabo and I bet the family is happy to have you back
    No more Subway schooling- yippee