Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Roasted Corn

One of my favorite indoor/outdoor cooking vessels is my 7" Iron Skillet. I am not sure where I got it, I think it may be stolen from one of my college roommates and has been in my possession ever since. Being an Iron Skillet it is almost indestructible, I have used it on the grill, the stove top, baked in it and burnt too many things to count on it but in the end I can soak it, scrub it, season it and it is ready to go again. I keep my iron cookware well seasoned so the surface is virtually non-stick now. To clean and season it I will wash it with water, if there are some stubborn burnt on thingies I will use some salt to scrub it with, I never use soap. Then heat it up on the stove top and put a little oil in the bottom and let it sit for a few minutes then turn off the heat, wipe out the inside and let it cool slowly.

Since the iron skillet is virtually indestructible I often use it on the grill, unlike the rest of my cookware I can open or close the lid to control the heat or smokey flavor that I want. This is always a good tasting and simple side dish when you are cooking out. Corn picks up a sweet taste when it is roasted, the kernels caramelize as they cook giving you an almost candy like sensation when you chew and it has enough flavor and texture to hold some spice as well. The ingredients are:

1TBS Clarified Butter
1 Small Onion Diced
1 Jalapeno Pepper Diced
1 Pound frozen Whole Kernel Corn
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper

I use Clarified Butter because, with the impurities removed, it can be cooked to a higher temperature that some other oils and it tastes so good. Melt 1 Tablespoon of butter in an Iron Skillet on the grill then add the Diced Onion and Diced Jalapeno Pepper once the onion is translucent add the Corn and saute together for several minutes, depending on the heat from the grill it can take 15-20 minutes more or less. You can close the grill lid for a while to cool this down some, and it helps get a smokey flavor. You want to hold off on adding the spices until it is close to done they can easily burn. When the corn is golden brown it is ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment