Friday, June 19, 2009

(The Basics) Clarified Butter

I understand that all of us come from different backgrounds and sometimes I
use kitchen language or technical terms that maybe not everyone is familiar
with so I am composing this series of posts to show what I am saying. This
way I don't have to reference Wikipedia when I use culinary language.













Clarified Butter is simply butter that has been heated and the impurities removed. Clarified butter has a very high smoke point so it can be used for many applications without browning or burning. I usually keep some clarified butter in the refrigerator and use it for several applications.







When I Clarify Butter I usually start with about a cup and a half of butter and put it in a small saucepan, you can see this is really a 2 cup stainless measure, and heat over low heat until it is melted.

At this point you want to spoon off the solids that float to the surface and discard them. After they are removed I like to let what is left gently simmer for a few minutes so the water at the bottom of the pan evaporates a little. Then I poor what is left into a small dish that I store in the refrigerator. Be careful not to poor any of the impurities from the bottom of the pan into your storage vessel.





after it sits for a few minutes some foam may come to
the surface. simply spoon that off then store in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment