Saturday, October 24, 2009

Brussels Sprouts

So I know that I have some readers (thank you by the way) but recently someone decided to admit it. I have a follower! someone who not only reads this blog but is brave enough to let others find out. She made a comment about one of my posts where I offered (translate that to threatened) to buy the kids Brussels Sprouts when we were at the local farmers market. Her comment was something like, "I made a pact with my boys to NEVER bring those awful things into our house." Of course that was shortly after I bought a whole mess of them to cook for an Autumn themed post.

My earliest memory of Brussels Sprouts dates back 35 years or so, my brother was sitting across the table from me in the dining room of our trailer home. My mom was saying something along the lines of, "you boys need to eat you vegetables, they make you strong."
As I was quietly forcing them down one miserable bite at a time my younger brother said, "I can't eat them, they make my throw up."

"Honey, they won't make you throw up, try them."

"I can't, they make me throw up."

This was one of my first parenting lessons (at the age of 7 no less) If your kid thinks that something will make them throw up, guess what, IT WILL! I watched my 5 year old brother pick up half of a Brussels Sprout on he end of his fork slowly lift it to his mouth and then the inevitable happened.

I of course jumped up on my chair, over the back and ran down the hall screaming and waving my hands in the air as if angry bees were coming out of him.

I didn't even look at Brussels Sprouts for about 14 years when I was in college and the topic of discussion was do they look more like turtle heads or Barbie cabbages, fine arts majors have too much time on their hands.

Anyway this post falls under the theme of "everything tastes good if it is cooked with Bacon."

Harvest style Brussels Sprouts:
2 slices of Bacon cut up
1 small Onion diced
1 Carrot peeled and sliced
10-12 Brussels Sprouts cut in half
Salt and Pepper

Cook the Bacon in a small Saute pan when it is close to done add the Onion and Saute until tender. Then add the Carrot and Brussels Sprouts and cook for 2-3 minutes then add just a little water, cover and cook for about 10 minutes. Once they have steamed until tender they are ready to serve. I hope that I didn't alienate my only follower with this post.

2 comments:

  1. Yurg....might try it but still not wholly convinced. Spousal unit likes Brussels sprouts so I might be kind to him. Might I say....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe just make a small bit for him, Like I say everything tastes good when it is sauteed with spinach!

    ReplyDelete