Saturday, October 3, 2009

Sugar Cane Skewered Shrimp

This is a simple recipe but very nice, I had a Sugar Cane Baton from a previous shopping trip and wanted to make Sugar Cane Skewered Shrimp. Yesterday on my way home from work I picked up the best shrimp ever for $7.99 per pound! I wanted raw Shrimp for this dish, what I found was called "Easy Peel Shrimp" Sounded good enough I figured I would go home and peel then devain these guys and be ready to go. This shrimp was shell on but the vein was removed! it is such a tedious job to devein them. All I had to do was peel the shells off (I set those aside) then put the shrimp in some marinade.

for the marinade I used:
2 coves of minced Garlic
1 cup of Orange Juice
1 TBS Honey
1 TBS Chopped Cilantro
a splash of rice wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

I put the peeled shrimp into the marinade, covered it and set it in the refrigerator while I got the other ingredients ready. First I made a simple fish stock in a small sauce pan with:
2 Cups of Water
The shells from about 12 shrimp
1/2 an onion
2 cloves garlic (coarsely chopped)
1/4 cup of carrot (coarsely chopped)
1 cup of V-8 Juice
1/2 tsp Salt

I let this cook on low heat for about an hour and a half then pored it through a strainer into a bowl. I put the liquid into the refrigerator until I was ready for it. When it was time to cook I put 1/2 cup rice into a sauce pan and sauteed it in Olive Oil and a clove of minced Garlic once it was completely coated with oil and hot I added one cup of the strained fish stock, turned the heat to low and covered the pan for about 20 minutes.

I cut my Sugar Cane into Skewers about 6 inches long and a little smaller that 1/4 inch thick. It cut into strips very easily, I just ran the knife from top to bottom then I cut a Pineapple into chunks. Then I skewered the shrimp and pineapple alternating, when the Rice was about 10 minutes from done I put the skewered shrimp in the grill and cooked it on a cooler spot for about 10 minutes turning once.

This was a cool dish for a couple of reasons, it just sounds cool to cook on a sugar cane skewer (or am I just a food nerd?) and you do get a little bit of a sweet flavor left inside your shrimp so it is like marinating from the inside too.

No comments:

Post a Comment