Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Fun

Ok this is a little different than most posts that I come up with, but it is a fun project with the kiddos...  and get this... no recipes involved, this one is just about having fun,  Last year after we finished coloring our Easter eggs I took what was left of the colored vinegar water and pored those into zip-lock snack bags.
"What are you doing dad?"
"It doesn't matter, just let me do this"
I have met my kids, if I had talked about what I was thinking I would have been nagged incessantly until we attempted a crummy job of this project.  I knew that this wouldn't work if the conditions weren't right.

I took the small zip-lock bags of colored water and put those into a 1 gallon freezer bag and put that into the freezer.  Then I left it alone for a few months...  I expect I have you lost here but keep with me for a minute.  On a warm sunny day in the middle of June Mr.Man, Miss Lu and I went to the Craft store and picked up a $4.00 sheet of water color paper.  We brought that home and put it on our picnic table in a sunny spot of our lawn.  Here is where it gets good, we pulled the frozen colored water out of the bags and put it on the watercolor paper and let it go.  OK, I have mentioned before that I tend to poke, prod and worry over things like this so I have to admit that all of us touched this some while it was melting. 
Here is step 1 just frozen chunks of colored water
A little bit later

 
.Here is the finished work... this one is hanging on 
our dining room wall.

Happy Easter everyone!

3 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! We're a little behind schedule with our Easter egg dying (with a one year old and a two year old, being prompt is less important since they don't have much conception of time...) and I'm glad to have a fun project to do with all that left over egg dye. Thanks for sharing your idea.

    I hope you and your family are enjoying your Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very cool Bryan, I would never of thought of that.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now aren't you the coolest dad ever? I would never have come up with something so creative!

    ReplyDelete