Monday, April 12, 2010

Scotch Eggs

Ok, I know that I shouldn't have done it, after all the last time I stepped on the scale (two weeks ago, I haven't been able take the embarrassment since) it actually yelled at me, "Jeez, get the hell off you fat jerk!"  Ok, that isn't exactly what happened but summer is coming around and my kids like to swim which means that I like to swim too.  I have a problem though, I am pasty white... in fact Sherwin Williams approached me last summer to ask if they could patent the color of the flesh on my stomach... they were going to call it "Blinding Parchment," and use it to paint airport runways just in case the lights went out.  Add to that any weight gain and that "color" starts border on translucent.  Yes I think that with another say 25 pounds or so I would be the "Visible Man" (remember that from 4th grade science?)  Let's just say that I am getting back to my proper weight before all this happens.

Yesterday, I couldn't stop the demons though, I was looking at the hard boiled eggs from Easter, good source of protein, eat one on the way to work and you are good until lunch or add one to a salad and there is a lunch that will stick to you for the rest of the day.  My mind kept turning to the dark side though and by dark side I don't mean buttered toast on the side or real cream in my coffee.  Yesterday I got up early, before anyone else got did, and made Scotch Eggs... for the love of God don't tell a dietitian!

For those of you unfamiliar with the dish; Scotch Eggs are hard boiled eggs lovingly wrapped in a blanket of sausage, rolled in bread crumbs and then (this is your last chance to stop because it does get worse) fried.  Ok, padwon I will tell you how they are made but know that it may tempt you to the dark side, with a pull like you have never felt before... the ingredients:
Put these into separate bowls, the eggs go through them in steps

Dish No. 1
1/3 pound sausage
2 TBS minced onion
2 TBS fresh Parsley chopped fine
Mixed together then patted flat

Dish No. 2 
2 TBS Flour

Dish No. 3
1 Egg
1 TBS good Mustard
beaten together with a fork

Dish No. 4
Bread crumbs

Wrap the eggs one at a time in the sausage, parsley mixture then roll in flour, egg wash. and bread crumbs.  When they are all done it is time for their bath in 325 degree oil.  They cook for about 5 minutes until golden brown and beautifully tempting.  If you want to you can tell yourself that the Parsley counts as a vegetable/green and makes this dish good for you but we both know that is a lie.  

Anyway, are they good? MY GOD YES! will I make them any time soon?  Probably not, I am still pretty riddled with guilt... but then again maybe just once more, after all I can quit anytime I want.
 Here they are sitting in the oven ready to go...
Scene from Cocoon?  No I think we all know 
Scene from Alien!

4 comments:

  1. If your going to go there, then go with style!
    I haven't seen a scotch egg since living with mum- yours look great and I'd eat one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a fierce loathing of hard-boiled eggs, so this wouldn't pass my lips, but my sister would go NUTS for these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, had never heard of them but I might have to try it once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I love the egg inside the meat. They look a little like Middle Eastern kibbeh. I love it, Bryan.

    ReplyDelete