Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Now for Something Completely Different

I need to take a break from my regularly scheduled blogging to point out a significant event.  It was four years and one day ago that it started, Kris woke up in the morning... she was tired of not feeling well, she hadn't been able to take a deep breath in about 5 months, she hadn't slept for more that a couple of hours in a row in even longer.

"I'm going to the Zoo today," she told me, "I am going to shake this baby loose."  She and our neighbor Jennie (kids in tow) went to the Brookfield Zoo and walked around for several hours.

Later, when I got home from work, the neighbors asked us to dinner (OK, you all know me it was Tacos, hard shells, meat, cheese, etc... but this post isn't about food) about half way through dinner Kris leaned over to me and said, "I think it's time."

We said our goodbyes to our friends, left Miss Lu in very good hands for the night and went to the Hospital.  A few hours later Mr. Man came into this world.

I have to tell you something about Mr. Man, he surprised us... Kris and I both thought we had had our kids when we started our journey.  Between us we had three girls and that seemed to be enough but apparently fate thought something else.  Mr. Man was not only unexpected but this little guy, the son of a Chef and a CPA, amazed us.  How does my kid love sports? cars? all things boy?

I'll let you in on a little secret, when I was about his age I begged my parents for a pot and pan set for my sandbox toy Mr. Man's first three words were "mommy, daddy" and  "basketball!"  Where did he come from? My, (as of today) four year old has taught me about cars and sports, I can even hold a conversation about basketball at work! I keep the videos of him hitting a baseball on my phone so I can show them off to my friends.  He has helped make me the suburban dad.  Proud? yes! happier? yes! A better person because of him? well, YES!  Here's to you my little stink butt... I am so happy you are here; you have made me a better man.
Happy Birthday Mr. Man!
Side story here... Last weekend when my mom was here we all went to the Brookfield Zoo and she relayed the story of the day before I was born apparently she and her friends went to the same place to "shake this baby loose,"  The next day I was born.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Mr. Man! I love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Mr.Man story. I hope he had a great day!!
    I have two little boys and your right, they are amazing, I too know a lot more about football than I ever thought possible- enjoy

    ReplyDelete