Friday, July 3, 2009

Banana Bread


My son used to eat bananas like they were going out of style so they have been a staple on the shopping list for months, he would request bananas sometimes several times a day, recently he has stopped. The banana has been replaced by the cookie, and not just any cookie, only the ones made at the Dominick's Bakery will do and yes he can tell the difference. Of course I am always a little bit behind so even though he hasn't been asking for bananas I still purchased them. There they were several days latter sitting on my kitchen counter turning into a black mushy mess.

Since the weather has cooled a little around here I was able to cook indoors again, the obvious thing to do was make Banana Bread. I was up at about 6:00 this morning and didn't have to leave the house until 9:00 so I had plenty of time. Here are the ingredients:

4 Really Ripe Bananas (see below)
1 apple peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice
1/4 cup melted Butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cup Flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup almonds (toasted)

I put the bananas in a large mixing bowl and beat them with a wooden spoon then added the diced apple, butter, sugar and egg and mixed them together pretty well. I put the flour and soda into a sifter and sifted that into the mixture then added the walnuts and almonds and mixed. I pored this into a buttered bread pan and baked it in an oven that I had heated to 350. It took a little more than an hour until until it was done. I know there are more subtle ways to tell but I still poke it with a knife and when it comes out clean I know it is done.

Everybody in the house woke up to the warm kitchen filled with the smell of fresh bread baking! It was done by about 7:30 so we had time for a relaxed breakfast before starting the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment