Thursday, July 23, 2009

Grilled Chicken Salad

Last Week our refrigerator was not working well, it was holding a temperature of about 70 degrees all day (it should be below 40). We got someone in to repair it and the temperature went quickly from 70 to freezing all of its contents basically overnight so I lost some Cilantro and Lettuce, they are pretty much gone ofter freezing. I pulled out a some nectarines that I will thaw and make into a sauce of some sort something spicy and sweet. I also had a pint of strawberries that were icy little nuggets. I let them thaw on the counter for an hour or so when they turned mushy and half frozen I was ready to go.

I ran then under cold water to wash then trimmed the stems off of each strawberry and put the usable fruit in the blender. I deemed it unusable if it was too mushy to hold, or there was a coating that may or may not have been frost. All in all about 3/4 of the Pint were usable strawberries. I used those to make a Strawberry vinaigrette that contained:

The Strawberries mentioned above
1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
the Juice from one Lime
1/3 cup Olive oil
1/3 cup Canola oil
1 TBS Honey
pinch of Kosher Salt
pinch of Cracked pepper

I blended the ingredients until smooth and put it into the refrigerator until ready to use.


The Chicken was a piece of cake I have 1 oz strips in the Freezer so I thawed and marinated those. Actually I hesitate to call it a marinate, it was just Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper to keep the chicken strips moist. I grilled those on the cast iron grill for a few minutes on each side. I used Frisse, Romain and Radicchio for my salad base and added some Toasted Almonds, Red Onions that were sliced thin and soaked in ice water for about 10 minutes (turns out that takes some of the bitter edge off of the onions). I topped all of this with the chicken strips and Strawberry Dressing, it works well for a light Summer lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment