Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Distractions

I know that I have been crying about working the holiday and weekend... it is just that alarm at 3:12 am is brutal and so unforgiving. The reason I do it is I almost have no work before or after Thanksgiving because I get my holiday and weekend days made up during the days surrounding the holiday so I don't have to be at work again until Friday! The only down side is there are guys working on my roof today. Kris and I noticed that our roof needed to be replaced as soon as the ice thawed this year (around February) so we got around to having someone actually do it today, yes on December 1 they showed up and started stripping my roof. I was just starting my second cup of coffee when the van pulled up and it began.

I have mentioned before one of my favorite day off breakfasts is some form of Chorizo and Eggs, today I was making my typical day-off breakfast listening to the cacophony of four big Polish men poun
ding on my roof. I was cooking the chorizo in one pan at the back of the stove and cooking corn tortillas on one of the front burners. I put a little bit of oil on each one and put them one at a time into a hot pan turned them cooking over high heat until they were crisp. Then I set the tortillas aside and melted clarified butter in the same pan to fry eggs.

I was using my favorite spatula, we all have one admit it, I have had this cheap plastic spatula for at least 10 years it is my "go to" utensil, the one that I grab when I saute anything. When the eggs were done I put the tortillas on my plate, topped them with the spicy chorizo then set the soft fried eggs on top. I set my spatula down where I always do and put some shredded cheddar cheese on top and put the inverted skillet that I was cooking in on top of the plate to hold the heat in and help melt th
e cheese while I got some salsa from the refrigerator.

When I turned around I saw it, on top of the stove my spatula was on fire! I had set it on an open burner and it didn't just melt... flames were lapping up the side of my pasta strainer, and the smoke it was too much... I am just a little broken up, I don't know if I should say a few words to remember it by or hide it before my wonderful wife figures out that I am dumb enough to set a plastic spatula on an open flame.

1 comment: