Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Waffles


I have gone back and forth about this particular dish. It almost seems too easy to post, I mean after this what is next "Bryan's buttered toast"? I can see that one... "sometimes I top it with Cinnamon Sugar and if the mood is right Strawberry Jam! Serve with fresh hot coffee; to make that start with cold water..." well you get the picture.

In the end I thought that what makes this a great recipe is the simplicity of it. When I got the Waffle Iron several year ago I didn't use it that much because most of the recipes that I found for waffles involved whipping Egg Whites into soft peeks then gently folding those into a batter then gently spreading that on a hot waffle iron. Here is one of my idiosyncrasies, I don't mind spending 4 hours on a Saturday afternoon making lamb stock from lamb bones, mirepoix and an aromatic spice bundle. In fact I find things like that to be relaxing, almost meditative. However, the idea of spending 7 minutes on a Sunday morning whipping egg whites into soft peaks is somehow unfathomable to me. (I know it doesn't make sense).

I spent some time trying different recipes for waffles some fell flat (literally) some were rubbery, some only aspired to be rubbery but this one really works. It is simple, quick and comes out fluffy and has a nice flavor:

2 cups all-purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 TBLS Sugar
1 tsp Salt
2 cups Milk
2 Eggs
2 TBLS Melted Butter
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

In a large bowl sift the dry ingredients together then add the the Milk, Eggs, Butter and Vanilla. Poor into a hot Waffle Iron and close when the stem stops shooting out of the waffle iron check. Golden Brown = Done, serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. These look great, I'm going to try your recipe- always good to have a back up one when I can't be bothered whisking egg whites!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete