Sunday, June 21, 2009

Cheesy Potatoes

I talked about this dish a few days ago, this is one of my summer staples the cheesy potatoes cooked on the grill. This is one of those simple dishes that always surprises me, because I get so many requests for it, it is so easy to prepare, there is virtually no clean up and it goes along with what ever you are already cooking on the grill. Along with that I have an indulgent starch without heating up the kitchen. I start with, obviously, potatoes pick your favorites in the pictures I used basic Idaho Russets they are a very versatile potato, sometimes I will get Yukon Golds or your basic Red Potatoes, whatever you like.





If it is a thick skinned potato you will want to peel it first, if you choose reds or Yukon Golds you don't have to. Start by cutting up the potatoes into about 1/2 to 3/4 inch chunks then put them into a microwave safe dish add a little salt, pepper and butter and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes (I have 4 potatoes in the pictures) stir them twice while they cook.



While they are in the Microwave chop up a couple of garlic cloves. When the Potatoes come out of the microwave put about a teaspoon of butter onto a foil sheet then add your garlic and set the potatoes on top. Then I add the Cheeses, first is Parmesan, I don't say this often but use the cheapest out there, it is to absorb some moisture so the potatoes don't come out a big gooey mess. Toss these together on the foil then add your favorite cheeses on top... these have Cheddar, Mozzarella and Colby on them then wrap and it is ready to go.



I put these on a cooler spot of the grill a few minutes before any meat goes on to get them started, I would have to say that the packet of potatoes spends between 25 and 30 minutes on the grill before it is done the last 5 minutes I put it on a hotter spot to caramelize the cheese a little. I like it when the cheese has is just a little brown at the edges.




After it comes off, tear open the package and put on a plate. They are easy to make, taste great and nobody needs to run in and out of the house to check on the side dishes it is all on the grill. You can also bring the potatoes with you if you go somewhere to picnic, the foil package can just be thrown on the grill while at the park or tailgating.

No comments:

Post a Comment