Sunday, June 7, 2009

Peaches, Plums and Chicken


I did the weekly shopping trip on Saturday, as usual I brought my youngest with me, he is three years old and had to walk himself. After all he is obviously too old to ride in the cart, in his eyes anyway. I was picking through produce... peaches sound good, bananas, limes... then then I was loudly informed that he needed a bag too, so I gave him one of the plastic bags off the roll and encouraged him to put some lemons in the bag. Of course with that encouragement he picked up some plums, three of them, dropped them and chased the golf ball sized fruit around on the floor, gathered them up again and with a little help got them in the bag. Since the fruit had been picked up dropped, chased, retrieved and bagged I figured that, ethically, I should buy them.



Later comes the question of what to do with the bruised plums, I was poking around in the kitchen that day so I had time to make a fruit BBQ Sauce. I peeled and pitted two of my peaches and the three plums then peeled and chopped up some ginger I would have to say about a tablespoon and put it all in a small sauce pan with some Tequila and Triple Sec and the juice from one lime. I cooked that until the fruit was falling apart (about half an hour). I used an immersion blender to blend it to liquid form then pored it through a screen strainer into a pan. To that liquid I added about t Tablespoons of Honey and cooked it for another 20 minutes or so. When it was about the consistency of... well BBQ sauce it was done.

I lit the grill and started my side dishes going, when the charcoal was hot (I could hold my hand over it for 3-4 seconds) I started the chicken breast. I put it over a coolish spot of the grill and painted my chicken with the Peach Ginger BBQ Sauce closed the cover and let it cook for about 2 minutes to let the sauce caramelize then turned the chicken, painted and covered. I repeated that a couple of times so I could get the crossed grill marks on the chicken and the flavor soaked in well. The flavor was sweet and fruity (no big suprise there I know) the sauce was smooth and easy to enjoy. I was in such a hurry to get it to plate I forgot to take pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment