Monday, June 22, 2009

Summer Slaw




I went to the produce store the this weekend, I had already decided that I was going to smoke ribs for dinner on Sunday. I wanted a side dish that would compliment that well, I knew the ribs would be hard to compete with on a plate. I decided on a summer slaw. I wanted to use a more delicate cabbage that would really lend it's self to some subtle flavors. I chose Napa Cabbage for the light flavor and the delicate texture that you can see. For the slaw I used :

1/2 Napa Cabbage head with core removed
1 granny smith apple
1 carrot cut into a fine Julienne
small hand full of almonds toasted
the marinate consisted of:
1 Tbs Sesame Oil
2 Tbs Olive oil
1 Tbs Rice Wine Vinegar
Salt
Pepper
1/2 Tbs Sugar
1 tsp Fennel seed, fine ground in a spice grinder
1 tsp Dijon mustard to bind it all.

I put all of the Marinate Ingredients into a small bowl and emulsified with an immersion blender then set that aside until I was ready to toss the rest of the ingredients.

I put the almonds into a saute pan and heated them on high heat while I cut the Napa Cabbage into fine strips and the Apple and Carrot into a fine Julienne tossed those into a bowl together with the Marinate and topped with the sliced toasted almonds. The marinate on this dish complimented the ribs perfectly, one heavy and smokey the side dish light and tangy... I don't say it often but this is hard to describe the slaw is sharp, slightly sweet and tangy. It really is a perfect dish for the outdoor party or picnic.







No comments:

Post a Comment