Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tomatillo Sauce








I went to the grocery store on Sunday after all of the birthday party festivities the day prior. My son and I went to do the shopping while the girls went to yet another birthday party. There were about 8 things on the family shopping list, but as usual when I get into a produce department I started to wander around to see what else we "need". Tomatillos were on sale, so I bought six of the paper wrapped fruit then picked up a couple of Jalapenos. I already had the rest of what I needed for this dish already at home. Tomatillo Sauce is very easy with only a few ingredients there is almost no work and only a little bit of active time to make this bright sauce to add to anything that you like from Beef Enchiladas to Tacos it adds a light spark to many dishes. This time I used in on marinated chicken breast cooked on the grill.



The marinade was simple:
Juice from 2 limes
Grated rind from one of the limes
1 TBS of Rice Wine Vinegar
2 Cloves of Fresh Garlic
2 TBS of Chopped Fresh Cilantro (I didn't measure, it is most of a store bought bunch chopped)
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
1 TBS Honey

I Marinated two chicken breasts all day.
When we finished all of the days activities I peeled washed and quartered the tomatillos put them in a small saucepan with:
the juice from one lime
2 cloves of chopped garlic and
1 diced Jalapeno

I let them cook together for about 25 minutes until everything was soft. I put this into the blender and blended until smooth. The mixture went back on the stove top. To that I added a Tablespoon of honey and let it cook while I lit the grill. When the grill was good and hot I put the chicken on and cooked, turning once until done, about 3-4 minutes on each side. I plated it with the Tomatillo Sauce you see served above. The Potatoes are the Cheese potatoes that I cook on the grill all the time, later this week I will post that recipe for all of you.

This really is a good summer dish, it has a bright color, and the flavor just pops the tartness of the tomatillo with the sweetness of the honey and the spicy tang of the fresh Jalapeno works well.

No comments:

Post a Comment