Friday, May 8, 2009

05-08-09 something spicey

I was just reading an article yesterday highlighting some of the Spiciest foods on earth. I was a work at the time so I tried emailing it to myself and using my combination of skill and luck with all things digital lost all record of the article. The idea they were talking about was trying some food that were just too hot they mentioned Vindaloo at a place in India and a Curry made with Habanero Chilies. The one that I remember was Hot Wings or “Suicide Wings” as they are called at Jake Melnick’s Corner Tap in Chicago they are made from Red Savina Peppers that are said to be twice as hot a an Habanero. They are Served with a waiver that says “Jake Melnick’s is not responsible for any damage done to you or your ability to taste anything ever again” (or something along those lines) and an alarm to summon wait staff touting Sour Cream, Sugar and White Bread if things should get out of hand.

Though Jake Melnick’s does have a marketing tool that I am sure brings some customers in to show off for their Friends I prefer a little more subtly and depth than throwing Pureed Habaneros into perfectly good food just to say a dish is spicier than the rest.

A more suitable use for Habaneros for me is to make a spicy glaze with them. Something like this:
2 TBS Oil (canola)
½ red onion
4-5 cloves Garlic
2 TBS Chopped Cilantro
½ habanero finely Chopped (like to wear vinal gloves when I chop these because it is hard to wash off your hands and can hurt when you touch your eyes even hours later)
2 Cups Orange Juice
Juice from one lime
A little bit of honey to thicken

Heat the oil in a sauce pan and add Onion and Garlic Sautee until they sweat. Then add the habaneros… I wouldn’t cook them for very long because the steam is going to make you cry. Then add Orange Juice Lime Juice and Cilantro cook until reduced by half then add Salt Pepper and a little bit (maybe a tsp.) of honey.

There you have a good hot glaze with some depth to it. This one is perfect for Chicken or Pork Tenderloin cook on the grill and brush sauce on for the last few minutes turning one more time to caramelize the glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment