Friday, May 15, 2009

Cocktails for the Cookout




My lovely bride and I both had kind of hard weeks this week which got me thinking about a Friday afternoon cocktail. It is spring bordering on summer so a Martini is the first thing that I think of. It seems like only a few years ago the Martini stopped being an"Old Man" beverage (think Manhattan or Old Fashion people make fun of me when I order these). In recent years Martinis have become trendy again. Since it is almost Memorial day I thought I would do Red, White and Blue Martinis. Mix them for your guests as they arrive for the cookout or make them up ahead and keep in the refrigerator. All of these are made with Vodka because I never did learn to like Gin. I use a Cocktail Shaker because I like to. Some people say there is a difference between shaken and stirred Gin Martinis but I can't tell.
White is simple I use a "Dirty Martini" because I like them.
3 oz Vodka
Splash of Dry Vermouth about 1/2 oz
Splash of Olive Brine
Put all ingredients into a shaker with a generous amount of ice cover and shake. Poor into a Martini Glass and garnish with a few olives.
Red is the new classic "Cosmo"
2 oz Vodka
1 oz Triple Sec
1 oz Cranberry juice
a splash of lemon or lime juice
Put all ingredients into the shaker with ice, Shake and Poor into a Martini Glass and Garnish with a Lemon zest. Sometimes I add a little Grenadine to intensify the color.
The Blue one doesn't have a name that I know of so call it what you like:
3 oz Vodka
1 oz Blue Curacao
Splash of Lemon or lime juice
Again Shake, Strain and Serve ice cold usually I garnish this with a Lemon zest too.
I have to say that Martinis, especially the sweet ones can get away from you, if you know what I mean. Be sure to eat well while you are enjoying them (I will have some cookout recipes later this week) and drink lots of water. Wow I never thought I would lecture about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment