Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Citrus Pork Tenderloin

Pork Tenderloin came up with my Mother's Day menu. It is one of my favorite dishes to prepare on the grill, it is an extremely versatile meat. You can prepare it with a light Citrus Marinade that makes for the perfect Spring Entree or a bold Bourbon and Brown Sugar Glaze that adds a surprising depth to it. Pork Tenderloin adapts well to anything that I am doing with it and when cut into medallions looks great on a plate or served family style on a platter.

The last time I prepared it I started in the morning with a simple Marinate of:

1/2 cup Orange Juice
Juice from two limes
1/4 cup of Rice wine Vinegar
3 or 4 cloves of fresh Garlic Minced
1/2 cup of Olive Oil
2 TBS of minced Cilantro
1 TBS honey
Salt and Pepper

This is an extremely forgiving marinate if you make it at home add more or less of anything to suit your taste sometimes I use Lemon juice instead of Lime or add citrus zest for a little added pop. I marinated this for about 3 hours in the refrigerator then let it temper on the counter for about an hour before I grilled it.

Once the grill is going and the coals are hot (I can hold my hand about 3 inches over the grill for 3-4 seconds) I am ready to go. I put the Tenderloin on the grill (if there are any flair ups I close it quickly) and let it cook for 2-3 minutes, then take it out and put it back into the marinate. Then it goes back on the grill for another 2-3 minutes and I put it back in the marinate. Dipping it in the marinate a couple of times while grilling gets a nice glaze on the pork so the honey and sugars from the fruit caramelize well in the next step. After that it goes back on the grill again and I cook it closed for another 7-8 minutes or so turning once.

I never cook Pork Tenderloin past medium about 145 f internal temp or if you cut it open it will still be pink in the middle. When it comes off the grill I but it on a plate and tent with foil for a few minutes while I get everything ready. Then I slice it about 1/2 inch thick and serve. This is great on its own or you can add a little Citrus Vinaigrette.

No comments:

Post a Comment